Thursday, January 20, 2011

How it feels to be colored me

Zora tells about how she has felt different things at different times.  For example at times she feels colored and at times she just feels like herself.  She talks about the time she stopped being Zora and became colored this was when she went to school in Jacksonville which was majority white.  That was when she became colored. I think that it's less common for us Americans to have a similar experience because now there is of every race. But I think we've all been in at least one situation when we were the only one of our race and for that reason identified ourselves as that. Kind of like when we're with family, I don't identify myself as Mexican-American when I'm with my family it's either Maggie or Magaly.  It doesn't even pass my mind.  It's when we're around different races that we consider ourselves different.  I think that's the experience that Zora had.
I like the way that she handles her life as she reminds me of my mother.  She says that each of her ancestors have paid or contributed to what she has now and that she must not stop but continue and live.  She must not be angry or feel depressed. My mother also believes something similar which is why she avoids talking about topics that bring up the conflicts of the past. "Ya paso no hay nada que puedes hacer, se feliz." This is what my mom tells me whenever I get to passionate about a topic of the past.  She says it already happened and there's nothing I can do about it so I might as well be happy then she laughs at me.  It's not that she's ignorant or doesn't realize that her ancestors have all contributed to everything that she has today.  Instead she thinks that because of their struggles we should enjoy life and be happy.  I think this is similar to how Zora feels about it.
It also seems that Zora has no limits.  She doesn't restrain herself by saying that she's an American citizen or colored but rather widens her world by saying that she is a fragment of the Great Soul that surges within the boundaries.  I feel that even if she may have had some hardships she has ignored them or not taken them personally and enjoyed herself a lesson we all have to learn. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment