Thursday, November 18, 2010

I am a (red) plow

I remember the first time I saw Chente walk in the store.  I was new in the store and I was eager to be bought so that I could help someone.  Chente talked to the cashier of the store and asked where he could get a man plow.  She directed him to the plows in front of me.  He looked at them and saw me he remarked that he liked my red color and bought me.
Chente took me to his house he lived in a small house and had a small barn that was nearly complete and it seemed he wanted to plant crops but needed some thing to help him.  He used me to turn up the soil and I was happy to help him fulfill his dream.  He planted each plant with care until it was dark and then he rinsed me off put me in the warm barn and went to sleep.  I liked how happy he seemed when we worked together.  He had a look of satisfaction and motivation in his eyes.
We spent many years working together helping to create beautiful plants.  However one day he stopped smiling and made me work more than I had worked ever before.  For some reason he stopped treating the earth with kindness.  Then one day we didn't work together and I was wondering what was happening.  He put me next to barn and I saw him on a large machine that did the same work we did in a week done in an hour.  Not only that but it also spread the seeds so he didn't have to do it by himself.  I saw he didn't seem so happy except when he sent something in the mail.  I rusted because he forgot me outside the barn.  He threw me in the barn and that was the last time I saw him.
A couple of years later the forgotten barn door was opened and I saw a small boy.  He was looking for things of interest and seemed to like my red color despite the fact that I was rusty.  He dragged me outside into the sun and I saw so many crops planted.  Then I saw an old man sitting down on a chair with what seemed like a permanent frown on his face.  His face seemed listless and tired, I wondered where the man I knew was.  The boy asked what I was and the old man replied that it was his old plow.  The boy asked if they could use it together to plant some flowers for his mother and the old man agreed.  He forced himself up off the chair and reached to me.  When he grabbed his hands were very familiar.  He then started working with me and he smiled and for a moment I believe I saw a shine in his eyes.  I was so happy I did my best I recognized his smile and it seemed I finally had the chance to make him happy again we kept going from where we left off on our dream.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds kind of like Toy Story 3 but it was a nice story that shows how money can make people forget what is important: the friends they have and the standards they want to live by.

    ReplyDelete