Thursday, October 7, 2010

Agnostic or Catholic?

Humans can be really agressive when it comes to three topics where every person has their own views politics, sports, and possibly the most important one religion.  I have only experienced the conflict of religion.  I was forced to go to Catholic school on saturdays in order to get my confirmation only because my mom wanted a quinceanera (which I didn't want) I didn't enjoy it.  Me and my brothers didn't go to church or know the commandments we didn't even have our first confirmation so when my mother put us in saturday school for something as trivial like a party we weren't fond of the idea.  Ideas were foced upon us and according to the teachers we weren't supposed to question it we were supposed to simply accept it.  The teachers were very closed off to any other religions and believed that the Catholic religion was the only right and true religion.  I became angered at how closed off they were to other religions dismissing them as wrong.

I think that when we change we grow so I feel that if we don't question things we will never learn more.  I had a very bad experience where I was basically forced to confirm and accept the Catholic religion when I clearly questioned it and didn't accept it.  I however spoke what I belived in a place where religion was basis of life.  My comments affected them so much that they even mentioned me in mass saying that the youth of today have no faith and I was repeatedly talked to by people trying to convert me or bring me to god.  I don't have any problem with what people believe it's when they involve the people around them without their consent and try to force their beliefs unto others that I have a problem with it.  I feel that these type of conflicts with conflicting beliefs can result in death.  It isn't a matter of changing people but accepting them and their beliefs regardless as to whether or not you agree with them.  I got lucky because there was a sense of understanding.  This is not meant to offend anyone, this is my opinion based on my experiences.  I am concious that not all people in the church are like the people I met but I have yet to meet them.

3 comments:

  1. Margarita, I totally agree with the statements in the blog above. It's true that there are people that always want "you" (not you) to submit to a certain religion because their minds are not opened to others. Although people can believe in any religion that they want, they don't always have to believe in one. In some societies, they're required to but if they agree with it, then it's ok. Clearly we don't know that but in present day besides from the major conflict between Hindus and Muslims, there aren't that many conflicts over religious views.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i completely agree with what you're saying, people shouldn't shove a religion down your throat. i am Catholic, however. not all catholics are willing to go as far as doing anything to convert a non-believer, but you do run into those kinds of people sometimes..

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Hey young man, how are you today? would you like to learn about God today?"
    I get that soo much and it's incredibly annoying because those iwanttoconvertyou christians believe that their beliefs are the best or whatever. they try to put off your beliefs because they believe you don't know what you believe. it angers me so

    ReplyDelete